Friday, January 24, 2014

Ten years of the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh ... or something (plus: try MTE v2)

The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh still doesn't know what to make of this:

On the other hand, I have a 1984-2004 poster on my machine room wall.

And yes, today is indeed the 30th anniversary of the original Macintosh Super Bowl big game ad, for those of you hiding out under a rock for the last several decades. Apple did a retrospective video for apple.com, which because they used a weird manner to do it, is not compatible with the QTE. However, here are the low bandwidth and high bandwidth versions (QTE users can right click and select "Open Link in QuickTime" to play the movie). While much of it is the usual Apple equals sex design twaddle, the following classic and vintage Macs are featured, in order of appearance: the original 128K (of course), the Macintosh XL (presumably standing in for the Lisa), the Macintosh II, the Macintosh Portable, the Macintosh LC, the PowerBook 100, a Quadra 9x0 (either a 900 or a 950, amusingly lacking the key), a Color Classic, a Power Macintosh 8500 or 9500, a Macintosh SE/30 (called SE 301, with an FWB hard drive icon), a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh (mine is better), a tower beige Power Macintosh G3, a Bondi Blue iMac G3 (the machine that arguably saved Apple), a graphite Power Mac G4 (either a Yikes! or a Sawtooth), a Blueberry iBook G3, a Titanium PowerBook G4, a 15" iMac G4, a 14" iBook G4, and finally the Power Mac G5. After that is all the Intel rot. But it's fun to see the creative luminaries assembled for this well-produced short, and of course the return (however briefly) of the rainbow Apple logo we all loved back when:

For the record, I own about 2/3rds of the featured pre-Intel Macs; the first Mac I used was my friend's dad's Mac Plus, and the first Mac I personally owned was a IIsi. And, btw, as a physician the scene of an iPad over a sterile surgical field near the end makes me shudder.

The real anniversary for us is March 14, 2014, the 20th anniversary of the Power Mac 6100 and the first Power Mac (along with the 7100 and 8100). I remember the new Power Mac well when I was in college. We'll do a special retrospective then.

No one has indicated serious intestinal distress over the highly automated way I've taken the new MacTubes Enabler, so you can download a prototype and try it. Here's an appropriate one: the Apple 1984 Super Bowl big game ad. As a bug I've subsumed as a feature (I think this is a glitch in the Add-on SDK), if you search for a video in YouTube and go to it from there, the video plays in the browser, so you can still interact with the (puke) comments and (gag) other users. But if you click on a YouTube URL anywhere else, or you cut and paste a YouTube URL into the address bar, it automatically opens in MacTubes and goes back to what you were doing. If the URL opens in a new tab, the tab automatically closes. Try it. I like it.

24.3.0 should come out this week or weekend.

14 comments:

  1. I think the TAM was made on the 20th anniversary of Apple as a company (how specifically, I don't know). My iBook G4 will turn 10 in July, though. I'm glad that you've kept computing alive for us PowerPC users, and hope my iBook can browse the web for another 10 years. I mean, a guy can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, but people get confused over the naming and it was kind of a dumb way to celebrate the anniversary anyway. We're certainly not getting a 30th Anniversary Mac.

      Delete
  2. When starting from the youtube start page MacTubes opens but no video loads or plays. It only worked for me on the link in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't read the blog posting, did you? :P

      "As a bug I've subsumed as a feature (I think this is a glitch in the Add-on SDK), if you search for a video in YouTube and go to it from there, the video plays in the browser."

      Delete
  3. I did, with a beer in my hand! The video does not play in the browser for me, it does if I Right click on the thumbnail & choose "open in a private window"....If I choose open in another tab or window it plays in MacTubes. Clicking on the thumbnail opens the tab in the browser, switches to a unproductive MacTubes window & closes the tab in the browser......Now WTF is that good for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you simply search for things in YouTube to play, why are you doing it in the browser at all? MacTubes is infinitely better for that.

      The use case is for embedded videos where you just want to start them playing. I left the glitch alone because Chris brought up the desire to interact with the YouTube page for comments and etc. Do people want it to completely take over YouTube links, period? Is that desirable? If not, what's your proposal?

      Delete
  4. ...& I think these kepthas know when you got a beer in your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....now you didn't really test this did you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, now you're just being rude. Come back when you're not drunk.

      Delete
    2. I'm not! & I just returning the smugness where it came from....what I am saying is "Clicking on the thumbnail opens the tab in the browser, switches to a unproductive MacTubes window & closes the tab in the browser". This does not seem to be the behavior you're intending.

      Delete
  6. Testing MacTubes Enabler 2:

    "if you search for a video in YouTube and go to it from there, the video plays in the browser"

    Hm… here's what it's doing for me (YouTube.com loaded from Germany, not signed in). On this page of YouTube search results
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tenfourfox&sm=3 :

    If I cmd-click the first video (iBook g3: PowerPC Browser Speed Test), it opens in a new tab, then closes the new tab and MacTubes opens, playing the video. Good.

    If I just click the video to open it in the same tab, the video page loads in the browser, the video starts playing briefly, MacTubes opens (just the library window, no video), and then the browser goes back one step in the history to the search results page. So I effectively get no video playing in the browser (contrary to what you're seeing, Cameron), and I can't interact with the YouTube page. I get no video at all.

    This may be very hard to impossible to debug because YouTube behaves different in different countries, and still different depending on whether or not you're signed in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also it would be nice to have a choice how videos are handled. E.g.
    - click or cmd-click on video link: open video page in browser window or new tab as if MTE wasn't installed
    - ctrl-click on video link: open video with MTE
    or the like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Et tu Google? Et tu?

    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/todays-outage-for-several-google.html

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increased frequency of spam, comments are now subject to moderation.